NEIGHBORHOOD LEGAL SERVICES
Contact: Abby McClelland (Free services only obtainable by making contact with Abby)
Phone: 1(800) 433-6251 x 137 or 1(818) 834-7537
Address: 13327 Van Nuys Blvd. Pacoima, CA 91331 1(800) 433-6251
Web site: www.nls-la.org
Neighborhood Legal Services is a non-profit legal services organization that gives free civil legal services to low-income residents of Los Angeles County. If we cannot help you directly or you are over our income limits, we can still assist in placing your case with a pro bono attorney or by giving you a free referral and consultation with a private bar attorney.
Neighborhood Legal Services provides these disaster-related services:
- Housing questions (paying rent, mortgages, property taxes, utilities)
- Housing options
- Cleanup of the site (who is responsible, who pays for it)
- Replacement of documents (immigration paperwork, proof of ownership and occupancy, other ID documents)
- Assistance with SBA, and insurance disputes (coverage, amount of award, etc.)
- Disability accommodations, either for temporary housing or new permanent housing (modifications for people with limited mobility, cleanup for people with respiratory problems, etc.)
- Any other legal issues arising from the fires
- Replacing lost or damaged medical equipment – diabetes supplies, wheelchairs, shower chairs and handrails, etc.