Mike McIntyre, the District Ranger for the Los Angeles River Ranger District, asked me to pass the following along.
The Forest Service will be evaluating the weather tomorrow and will make a decision about possible permit suspensions in relation to the upcoming rain events.
Mike specifically asked, “Please let everyone know that they should be watching the weather and listening to what the road agencies are doing in case if and when we pull the trigger, we don’t contact everyone…..”
In other words, Mike and his people will do what they can to alert residents, but it is best if those who are still in the Forest left well in advance of the coming storms. We’ve already seen how communications can fail in an emergency. Don’t take the risk. Get packed and get out sooner rather than later.
For those of you who don’t watch weather reports closely, the Weather Service issued the following advisory earlier today:
… Potential for wet period of weather to return to southern and central
California next week…
A series of Pacific storms is expected to move into California
next week… bringing periods of rain and mountain snow to the state.
On Sunday… a very cold upper level low pressure system is
expected to develop across Oregon and northern California. This will
result in increased onshore flow and low level moisture across
southern and central California on Sunday… leading to the possibility
of drizzle and light rain… especially in the foothills and
coastal slopes. As the cold low pressure system drops south and
east… there will be an increased chance of rain and mountain snow
Sunday night across our region… with precipitation becoming
likely on Monday.
This first storm system is generally expected to bring one quarter
to one half inch of rain Sunday night into Monday… with amounts locally
over one inch possible in the foothills and coastal slopes of the
San Gabriel Mountains. The greatest threat of precipitation for the
station fire burn area will be late Monday morning through Monday
afternoon… when there will be the potential for moderate to brief
heavy showers. Snow levels will likely begin around 4000 to 5000
feet on Sunday night… then could lower to between 3000 and 4000
feet by Monday afternoon. By Monday night… the flow is expected to
turn more northerly… which will bring the threat of continued
showers across north facing slopes… with snow levels as low as 2500
feet possible as very cold air is projected to move into the area
from the San Joaquin Valley. Snowfall amounts in the mountains are
generally expected to range between 4 to 7 inches with this first
storm. The low snow levels will likely impact the Interstate 5
corridor near the Grapevine… and could bring some light snowfall to
portions of the Antelope Valley and Cuyama Valley.
Later in the week… a second storm will likely impact California
Wednesday into Thursday. This system is expected to be stronger
and warmer than mondays system… but there is still some
uncertainty in the exact placement of heavier rainfall across our
forecast area. Since this storm will likely have a greater
precipitation duration and intensity… residents and emergency
officials are urged to stay tuned to the latest National Weather
Service forecasts for updates on this developing weather
situation. In addition to the potential for heavy rain… there
will likely be large swell and high surf conditions for the coastal
A third system could bring another threat of precipitation to
California later in the weekend.
So, it looks like the rainy season is about to begin. Be safe, and be ready!
For additional updates, you can visit your favorite online weather report, or use the link below for warnings for Los Angeles County and the San Fernando Valley.